A Romanesque Revival-style complex in one of the oldest parishes in southeastern Manitoba, is an ambitious example of the type of churches built in Franco-Manitoban communities at the turn of the twentieth century. Erected in 1895-98, the substantial brick edifice, symbolically cruciform in plan and designed by Joseph-Azarie Senecal, then the architect of choice for local Roman Catholic facilities, presents a stately visage from its spacious site in the centre of Ste. Anne. Equally impressive is the church’s interior, including its elegantly appointed nave and sanctuary paintings by internationally renowned artist Leo Mol. Also valued for its historical significance, this church serves a parish established in the pre-Confederation era (1859) by Father Joseph LeFloch to minister to Metis and French settlers (many of whom are buried in the adjacent cemetery), and is situated on the Dawson Road, part of the first surveyed all-Canadian route between Lake Superior and the Red River district.

Visit Our Website For More Info