Located on the Winnipeg River, Pinawa Dam was Manitoba’s first hydro-electric generating station. The dam was developed in response to the demand for residential and commercial power and was crucial to the rapid growth of Winnipeg in the pre-war years. The station began delivering power in 1906 and was closed in 1951 to allow the full flow of the Winnipeg River to serve the Seven Sisters Hydro Station built downstream. It is a tranquil park with large open spaces, plenty of shade, the peace of falling water and the relaxing songs of the birds. This is a great place to come to picnic, to hike the nature trails, to rediscover its past.