Midwinter School Heritage Site is a century old one room school museum on a seven acre parcel of land along the Boggy River in East Braintree. Named after Charles Midwinter, a Winnipeg City Councillor who donated his homestead; Midwinter School was built in 1917. The School House closed in 1968 when rural schools became consolidated. It was then bought by the communities of Glenn, McMunn and East Braintree. It became a Regional Heritage Site in 1989 and a National Heritage Site in 2010.
The school building was once used as a community place, a one-room school, a dance hall, a church, a bingo hall and for community 4H meetings and fairs. The Museum now holds memorabilia of school days gone by; items pioneers used in the area; exhibits of the East Braintree Prison Farm; the building of the Dawson Road; the building of the GWWD Aqueduct and Railway; the Red Cross Nursing Station; and many other exhibits that change from time to time.
Regular Museum Hours are Saturday and Sunday 2 to 4 pm in July and August.
They offer guided group and school tours year round with 48 hours’ notice. Lunch and refreshments can also be served with 48 hours’ notice.
Phone: Margaret or Bill at 204-426-5510/204-885-6013 or Lorna at 204-422-5284