Do you stare at your lawn and wonder how can you make it pop? What has to be done to make it stand out, or maybe, it just doesn’t have the vibe you want? Well, wonder no longer! There are tons of things you can do to spruce up your yard, but a surefire way is adding some plant-life!
Adding some trees, fruits or vegetables, or even flowers can add color and life to your lawn! Here are some great ideas of how you can add some life back to your yard with just some plant-life and extra decorations!
*Disclaimer* Time in nature has not been cancelled, but we must be responsible for helping everyone stay safe and healthy! Here are some guidelines to follow while exploring your community:
- Stay home if you have been travelling or do not feel well. Here is an excellent resource if you are quarantined. This will help you find people in Manitoba who are willing and able to help you while quarantined. Help Next Door Manitoba
- Go out with people within your household, but practice social distancing (2 metres away) with other groups.
- Stay within your community. Please do not travel to other communities.
- Please practice Leave No Trace. Clean up after yourself and leave nothing behind such as trash and waste.
- Check with your local municipality if play structures in parks and schools are open.
- Social distancing can be easier in rural communities because we live farther apart from each other. If you live in a condo or apartment, please follow the guidelines provided to you to ensure you keep your social distance from your neighbors.
Let’s start with the most obvious and popular item on this list – gardening! There are so many reasons to take on this challenging but gratifying task.
Gardening has physical and mental benefits! Gardening is considered a moderate-intensity exercise; it is a great way to relieve stress, can boost your mood, and helps you eat healthier.
Gardens have a very homey feel to them and can pull any yard together. From growing lettuce, cucumbers, berries, and watermelons, to everything in between, a garden is a fantastic addition to your home!
If you want to start a garden but don’t know where to start, talk to your local greenhouse or visit this link to Better Homes & Gardens for a beginner’s guide!
Flowerbeds are a great way to add some flair and colour to your home! There are so many ideas and arrangements of designs to choose from, but if your lawn has a spot where it looks like it’s missing something, a flowerbed will spruce it right up.
Check out this link for tips on how to start a flower bed!
Trees and Shrubs
It’s amazing what a few trees and a couple of shrubs can do for your lawn! And, when paired with your new flower bed, it just adds that ‘wow’ factor.
Head over to your local greenhouse and pick out what will work with your home!
This one is better left for the professionals to do, but it will still look amazing in your yard! There are so many styles, designs, and unique things you can do to make your pond the best one in the neighbourhood!
Here is some information about backyard ponds for your research.
From twinkling lights and humorous gnomes to fancy doormats and charming picnic tables, these are the things that adds character to your yard! Even the smallest of things can change the whole atmosphere of your yard.
Head over to your local greenhouse or hardware store to pick out the perfect décor for your back yard! Need some ideas of what you want? No problem! Check out these great ideas to get you started!
Greenhouses in the Eastman
Here is a list of outstanding Eastman greenhouses that not only provide you with the goods to make your yard remarkable but help you along the way!
Prevost’s Perennials – South Junction
C & S Country Gardens – Lorette
Chevrefils Greenhouse – St. Georges
Fryfogel Flowers – Dugald
Giz’s Garden Centre – New Bothwell
Glenlea Greenhouses – St. Agathe
Golden Plains Greenhouse – Kleefeld
Green Oak Gardens – Beausejour
Green Valley Garden Centre – Grunthal
Margie’s Greenhouse – Lac du Bonnet
Rainbow Mill Gardens – Vivian
Schriemer’s Greenhouses & Garden Centre Ltd – Springfield
Vandermeer Garden Centre – Ile-des-Chenes